Superior Floor Performance & Fire Protection
An I joist with Flak Jacket™ protection by Trus Joist® is available in response to Section R503.1 of the 2012 International Residential Code (IRC). The code states that floor assemblies, not required elsewhere in the code to be fire-resistance rated (i.e. one hour fire assembly or sprinkled), shall be provided with a 1/2″ gypsum ceiling, 5/8″ wood structural panel ceiling, or equivalent on the underside of floor framing.
Types of projects that are affected by this requirement are residential and multi-family buildings, motels and other light commercial building projects. TJI® joists with Flak Jacket ™ protection meet this requirement.
Here are some facts:
- Flak Jacket™ is a factory applied coating that expands as a result of heat to provide fire protection. It provides an economical one hour fire rated assembly.
- Joists are cut, drilled and handled the same as any otherTJI® joist.
- No special hangers or fasteners are required.
- The Flak Jacket™ protective coating does not change the structural properties of the joist.
- Guidelines for drilling holes in the joist are the same as any non-coated joist. No touch up is required.
- TJI® joists with Flak Jacket™ are a special order item.
Please watch the brief video to see how Flak Jacket™ protection works.